Obstetrics & Gynaecology
- Dr. K. K. GOPINATHAN – DGO, MD (Obstetrics & Gynaecology)
- Dr. V. ANANDANARAYANAN – DGO, MD (Obstetrics & Gynaecology)
- Dr. ASHA ANIL MENON – DGO, MD (Obstetrics & Gynaecology)
- Dr. SHALINI K – DGO
- Dr. MOHAMMED JAVEED R. – MD (General Medicine), PG Diploma in Diabetology
- Dr. ABDUL HAKEEM – MD (General Medicine) PG Diploma in Diabetology
- Dr. MOHAMED NISHAJ – MBBS, MD (General Medicine)
A well equipped Medical Outpatient Department functions every day including Sunday. All routine medical cases like Hypertension, Diabetes Mellitus, Lung Diseases, Cardiac, Pulmonology and other metabolic and endocrine cases etc are managed with utmost care.
- Dr. A. SATHISH – MS (General Surgery), MCh (Paediatric Surgery)
- Dr. MOHAMMED NIZAM – MBBS,MS,FMAS
- Dr.THEJRAJ.S-MBBS,MS(General Surgery)
- Dr. SURESH BABU M V – BAM, DMS, MBBS, DCH
- Dr. P M VISWANATHAN – MD (Paediatrics), DCH
- Dr. MAHESH KRISHNAN P – DNB (Paediatrics)
Dr. GEORGE MATHEW NEERAKAL – MD (General Medicine), DNB (Cardiology)
Services offered by Cardio
- Coronary Angiogram
- Coronary Angioplasty (Temporary / Permanent)
- Peripheral Angiogram & Angioplasty
- Pacemaker Implantation (Temporary / Permanent)
- Balloon Mitral Valvuloplasty (BMV, PTMV)
- ASD (Atrial Septal Defect) Device Closure
- PDA (Patent Ductus Arteriosus) Coil Closure
- Cerebral AVM (Arteriovenous Malformations) Coil Closure
- ICD Implantation
- Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy (CRT)
- Renal Angioplasty
- Electrocardiogram (ECG)
- Tread Mill Test (TMT)
- TEE (Trans Esophageal Echo)
Executive Cardiac Checkup
- Dr.KIRUN GOPAL – MS,DNB MCH,DNB
- Dr.BALU VAIDYANATHAN – MD,DM,FACC(Amrita Hospital)
The Ophthalmology Department (Eye care Services) is functional on a regular basis from 1999 with a full time qualified Ophthalmic surgeon, the Department manages all routine eye related problems.
Anterior surgeries – Cataract Extraction including Anti Glaucoma congenital cataracts, surgeries, Ptosis Correction, Lid Surgeries, congenital grafting etc are some of the surgical procedures done here. Medical retina is also practiced. Cases of Ophthalmic trauma are also managed. Besides regular OP services including refraction checkups etc are carried out daily. The Department works closely with the Neonatology using for RDP screening of preterm infants.
The ENT (also known as Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery) service at Edappal Hospitals manages all aspects of adult and paediatric ENT conditions. A few of the services include
The ENT Service leads a multidisciplinary approach in the management of
- Medical and surgical treatment for nasal masses / nasal obstruction in children and adults which includes FESS, Endoscopic Powered Adenoidectomy and Septoplasty
- Advanced Microscopic surgery for ear ailments, hearing loss
- Voice therapy and microscopic surgery for voice disorders
- Advanced allergy immunotherapy treatment for allergy management.
- Vertigo clinic: Intra-tympanic injection treatment for vertigo
- Headache clinic
- Tinnitus clinic
- Thyroid clinic
- Allergy clinic: Intradermal allergy test, food allergy test
Dr. SHREELATHA S – DDVL
DR. MANOJ KUMAR G – MD (Physician), DPM (Psychiatry)
Dr. SATHYA VIRINCHI B. – MBBS (RMO)
The casualty department is equipped with modern facilities including cardiac monitor with defibrillator, pulse oximeter, central oxygen system etc to tackle any sort of medical
Orthopaedics & Trauma Care
Dr. RAJESH DHARMARAJAN – D(ORTHO),DNB, MS(ORTHO)
Our Department of Orthopaedics manages all varieties of Orthopaedic problems. General Orthopaedic surgery, Paediatric Orthopaedics and Hand Surgery are conducted on a regular basis by our Department. Surgical and non surgical management of backache is also done. The Department works very closely with the Physiotherapy unit for the complete rehabilitation of the patients.
Outpatient clinics functions from Monday to Saturday. Emergency Orthopaedic care is available 24 x 7.
Dedicated patient care and complete rehabilitation is our motto.
A few of the services offered include
Primary hip, knee, spine surgeries including Posterior Lumbar Inter body Fusion, Lumbar discectomy and decompression, treatment of spinal infections, tumors, scoliosis and cervical spine problems. Sports medicine including Arthroscopic Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction, Arthroscopic Bankart’s repair. Paediatric orthopaedics including treatment of complex congenital, developmental anomalies and deformities like hip dysplasias (DDH), CTEV, congenital pseudoarthroses. Perthe’s disease, paediatric bone and soft tissue tumors, limb deficiency, skeletal dysplasia and cerebral palsy are few other conditions managed here in addition to various traumatic conditions in children. Treatment of all bone tumours including custom made prosthesis, Treatment of all routine, complex trauma and neglected trauma.
Audiology and Speech Therapy
Dr. SIMI BOBIN – DCH
Established in 1990, our Neonatal Intensive Care Unit offers emergency and critical services for premature infants and critically full-term babies born at Edappal hospitals, and those transferred from outside hospitals. Edappal Hospitals NICU manages newborn infants with extreme prematurity (28 weeks gestation or less) or extremely low birth weight (1000 gm or less) or those who have severe and/or complex illness and have the most specialized needs that require advanced level care and services. The unit provides a broad range of paediatric medical subspecialties, paediatric surgical specialties, fetomaternal unit, genetic lab and services like
- Advanced respiratory support and physiologic monitoring
- Laboratory and imaging facilities
- Nutrition and pharmacy support with paediatric expertise
- Social services
Using a multidisciplinary approach our NICU is staffed and equipped to provide continuous mechanical ventilator support and utmost medical and therapeutic care to ailing infants.
The NICU is equipped with the latest life saving technology, and is manned by expert Neonatologists (Doctors specializing in new born baby care) and specially trained – all trained to care for the most complex and high risk situations among newborns. Close collaboration between nurses, physicians, support staff and parents facilitate the infants’ wellbeing both at hospital and after discharge.
Kids (and their families) have always had a special place at Edappal Hospitals….obviously!
Dr. RAJESH SHANKAR IYAR – MD,(Gen.Med.)DM, DNB(NEUROLOGY), MNAMS, FELLOWSHIP IN EPILEPSY
Dr. GAZAL JALAL – MBBS,MD(Respiratory)
Dr. USHA P – MBBS, Dip Reproductive Medicine (Germany)
Dr. PARASURAM GOPINATH – MS (Obstetrics & Gynaecology)
Dr. RAMESH P – MS (Obstetrics & Gynaecology), DNB (Obstetrics & Gynaecology)
Dr. SREEHARI ARUNKUMAR – MS (OBG)
Dr. SOUMYA NAIR – DNB (OBG)
There are strict definitions of infertility used by many doctors. However, there are also similar terms, e.g. subfertility for a more benign condition and fecundity for the natural improbability to conceive. Infertility in a couple can be due to either the woman or the man, not necessarily both.
Reproductive endocrinologists, the doctors specializing in infertility, consider a couple to be infertile if:
- The couple has not conceived after 12 months of contraceptive-free intercourse if the female is under the age of 34. 12 months is the lower reference limit for Time to Pregnancy (TTP) by the World Health Organization.
- The couple has not conceived after 6 months of contraceptive-free intercourse if the female is over the age of 35 (declining egg quality of females over the age of 35 account for the age-based discrepancy as when to seek medical intervention).
- The female is incapable of carrying a pregnancy to term
- A couple that has tried unsuccessfully to have a child for a year or more is said to be subfertile meaning less fertile than a typical couple. The couple’s fecundability rate is approximately 3-5%. Many of its causes are the same as those of infertility. Such causes could be endometriosis, or polycystic ovarian syndrome.
Primary vs. Secondary Infertility
- Couples with primary infertility have never been able to conceive, while, on the other hand, secondary infertility is in difficulty conceiving after already having conceived (and either carried the pregnancy to term, or had a miscarriage). Technically, secondary infertility is not present if there has been a change of partners.
- Medical Treatment
- Varicocele Surgery
- Intra Uterine Insemination (Husband & Donor)
- Semen Cryopreservation
- ICSI (Intra Cytoplasmic Sperm Injection
- IMSI (Intracytoplasmic Morphologically selected Sperm Injection)
- Treatment for Erection Problems.
- TVS with Follicular Monitoring, Saline Sonosalpingography (SSG)
Laparoscopic Surgery / Endoscopic Surgery
- Assisted Hatching of Embryo using Laser
- Blastocyst Culture
- Cryopreservation of Embryos & Oocytes
- Oocyte and Embryo Donation Programmes
- ICSI (Intra Cytoplasmic Sperm Injection)
- PESA (Percutaneous Epididymal Sperm aspiration) / TESA (Testicular Sperm Aspiration)
- IVM (InVitro Maturation)
- IMSI (Intracytoplasmic Morphologically selected Sperm Injection)
- PGD (Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis)
Dr. MEENU BATRA PARASURAM – DMRD, Fellowship in Obs USG & Fetal Medicine (Mediscan)
Dr. SREEJA V – DGO,MS(OBG),DNB
Dr. PATIL SWAPNEEL NILAKANTH – DNB(OBG)
Our FM Unit is unique and probably the first and only unit in South India that combines the expertise of fetal medicine and finesse of high risk pregnancy management. A group of committed obstetricians, radiologists, geneticists and neo-neonatologists ensure that both the mother and child successfully complete their 9 month long journey from pregnancy to motherhood.
The services that are available at our centre are:
- First trimester screening
- Targeted scan
- Fetal echo
- Growth & Doppler Scan
- Prenatal Invasive Diagnostic tests
- Fetal Therapy
- High Risk Pregnancy Management
- Fetal Autopsy
First trimester screening
- All the consultants performing the NT scan are accredited with Fetal Medicine Foundation, UK
- Every pregnancy either normal/assisted carries a risk of anueploidies. A 12th week scan which measures the NT and combines it with maternal serum BHCG & PAPP-A is used to determine the risk of each individual woman. An increased risk would require INVASIVE TESTING
- A unique feature of the first trimester scan is that it allows us to pick up major structural anomalies at the earliest.
- A sophisticated high and USG machine with state of the art 3D & 4D capabilities is used to detect congenital abnormalities in the fetus.
- This scan is usually done at 18 to 22 weeks and has a high sensitivity to pick up malformations.
- Growth Scan
- After ensuring that the fetus is both structurally and genetically normal. The next important step is to ascertain adequate growth and development of the fetus.
- This is achieved through serial Doppler assessment which scrutinizes well being of the fetus
- A highly specialized evaluation of the fetal heart is done at 20-22 wks gestation.
- Previous child with heart disease
- Mother with heart disease
- Mother with G.D.M.
Pre-natal Invasive Diagnostic tests:
- Test – Amniocentesis
Timings – 16-24 wks
Indications – Karyotyping
- Test – Chorionic Villous Sampling
Timings – 11-14 wks
Indications – Single gene studies, Karyotyping
- Test – Percutaneous Umbilical Blood Sampling
Timings – 24 wks
Indications – Karyotyping, single gene studies, Infection screening
- Procedure – Amnioinfusion
Indications – Oligamnios
- Procedure – Amnioreduction
Indications – Polyhydramnios, TITS
- Procedure – Amniopatch
Indications – “PPROM”
- Procedure – Fetal reduction
Indications – Multiple pregnancy
- Procedure – Fetal Blood transfusion
Indications – Rh Isoimmunisation/other fetal anaemia
High risk Pregnancy Management:
- Pregnancy and child birth are a routine affair but for a certain group of women, this seemingly innocuous event requires specialized care. Women with Diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, autoimmune disorders, multiple pregnancies, etc., fall into this high risk group.
- Our Feto Maternal Unit uses an integrated approach that utilizes various surveillance modalities like NST, BPP & Doppler to ensure that even these high risk groups have a safe and uneventful pregnancy.
- Fetal autopsy aids USG in reaching a final diagnosis in babies with structural abnormalities.
- An accurate diagnosis helps in predicting the recurrence risk for each couple
- Fetal autopsy is carried out by fetal medicine specialists with special training in fetal autopsy.
Dr. ANIL MENON – DA
Dr. SUBRAMANIYA BHAT A – DA
High Risk Pregnancy Care
Dr. NAMITHA FAZAL – BDS
Dr. AJAY KUMAR HARIDAS – MDS (Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery)
Dr. LIN JACOB VARGHESE – MDS (Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery)
Dr. JINEESH NATH – MDS(Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery)
Dr. LAKSHMI LAKSHMANAN – MDS (Orthodontist)
Dr. NISHIN NAZAR -BDS (Dental Surgeon)
The Dental Department carries regular dental checks. The important Dental procedures carried out
- Orthognathic surgery to rectify mandibular and maxillary deformities
- Surgical corrections of maxillary facial trauma
- Fixing of avulsed teeth
- Surgical removal of impacted teeth and management of orofacial infections
- Treatment of cyst and tumors of oral cavity
- Dental implants
- Dental treatment of risk patients requiring hospitalization
- Orthodontic treatment – both fixed and removable
- Root Canal treatment
- Crown and bridge works
- Flap surgeries
- Management of all paediatric cases
- Treatment of leukoplakia and SMF and related problem
- Salivary gland and TMJ disorders.
A fully equipped cyto-genetic lab aids both the FMU and the infertility unit. The genetic lab offers the following services:-
People with family/personal history of structural/mental abnormalities with/without consanguinity are offered counseling regarding the risk they carry for a particular disorder.
A woman with an USG detected fetal anomaly is counseled regarding the prognosis of her pregnancy and the probability of having a similar anomaly in the future.
Work up of the Index Child
Any woman with an affected child is offered detailed work up of the child by a team of dysmorphologists and geneticists to reach an accurate diagnosis which may predict the prognosis.
Cytogenetics – Karyotyping
- Amniotic fluid
- Fetal Blood
- Peripheral blood Sample
FISH: For 13, 18, 21, X & Y Chromosomes
PCR: Y chromosome micro deletion
PGD: (Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis)
Dept. of Mind Body Medicine
Physiotherapy & Rehabilitation
GAYATHRI – BPT
HYRUNNISA – BPT
SARA – BPT
RUPESH – BPT